Thursday 28 November 2013

How to install CM10.2 (Jelly Bean 4.3) Release Candidate on LG Optimus G Pro (E986)

Introduction

I don't like to repeat the reason of installing a CM ROM :), but for most of Android devices, the steps to install a CyanogenMod ROM are all the same. 
  1. Root
  2. Install recovery
  3. Install the ROMs from recovery mode 
So I'm just going to describe what I picked up to achieve my goal. I am not sure if this works on all E98x devices but at least it worked on mine, with a few minor issues. 

* WARNING * 
It's totally up to you to follow the steps here so I have no responsibility on any of damages and/or bricks which can happen on your phones/devices.

Procedures & File Locations 
  • Root on the official 4.1.2 ROM: Follow the instructions here -  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2362657 
    • Don't hesitate to install LG drivers - that won't kill your PC! :)
  • CM 10.2 Release Candidate:  http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=e980 
    • Please note that e980 is for all e98x GSM devices. e986 used to have its own branch but now it's unified. 
    • I took cm-10.2.0-RC1-e980.zip as it was the latest RC. If you can see any newer stable or RC one, you can go with one of them but I don't recommend you to go with nightly ones. 
  • Google Apps for Jelly Bean 4.3:  http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps
    • Mind you, you should use CM 10.2's one. All the other versions aren't compatible. 
    • Don't forget to put the two roms (CM10.2, GApps) on your phone. You may use either of internal storage or external SD (recommended). 
  • Recovery:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2284298
    • Don't know how to run the recovery? 
      1. Install the APK. 
      2. Run the new app installed on the phone
      3. There should be two buttons - just click them in order. 
      4. And the phone will enter the recovery mode. 
    • On recovery mode - I usually do:
      1. Clean up all the caches including Dalvik cache (in advanced options) 
      2. Install CM 
      3. Install GApps. Once you've install a CM, you may skip 1 when you install another CM ROM in order to keep your settings but don't forget to do 3 every time. 
Troubleshooting

Embarrassingly, my e980 produced an error when I firstly attempted to install the rom. It produced 'error 7' (assert failure) at the first line of updater script, which indicated that I picked up a wrong rom which was not compatible with my device. But I was pretty sure that my phone was e986. What the.. 

Hence it was natural for me to open up the updater script in the ROM. The script ('updater-script') is at META-INF>com>google>android in the ROM. You can extract it to somewhere and edit it using a typical editor like Notepad++ as it's just a plain text file and then you may overwrite the file with your changes. I recommend you to use 7-zip to handle zip files.

The complainer was something like this: 

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "e986" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "e986" || ....... 

As we can see, "e986" is already there so it looks unlikely to have downloaded a wrong ROM. Maybe the device name was something unusual on my phone.. So I put a check code to display my phone's property at the top of the updater script. 

ui_print(getprop("ro.product.device"));
ui_print(getprop("ro.build.product"));

And guess what? It displayed vu2kt. VU2KT!!!!!!!!! This means LG Optimus Vu 2 for KT (a cell-phone services provider in LG's hometown). Did I have Optimus Vu? Absolutely not. The phone was definitely e986. Now, workaround is my friend. My friend just put a new entry of vu2kt there conveniently and it worked fine. :) I think there was just a mistake somewhere in my phone. 

Interestingly, actually there was a common feature in VU2 & G Pro - the "Rubberdium" pen. Although the pen is not bundled with G Pro package, it works fine anyway. I bought that by myself. However, frankly speaking, it never catches up Galaxy Note series. Other than the lacking pressure-sensitive input, G Pro + Rubberdium beats nothing against the Notes. Personally I think the input is too laggy. 

Result


Quality of the ROM

It's pretty fantastic regarding that it is only the first RC. I haven't got anything serious yet. The battery feels like draining little bit faster but I am not sure. But - I'm missing some bundled apps in the original ROM like QRemote and QMemo. After installing a CM, you should find similar ones from Play Store. Now the quick memo button on the left side is just a search button. :) 

Sent from Evernote

15 comments:

Tor said...

Hi man,

I've looked everywhere for something like this!
I bought a LG Optimus G Pro F240S i Korea and tried to flash in a rom like you and got the same problem with it displaying my phone were a VU2KT.
Where did you put the string with information about the phone?

I would be really greatful if you could answer.

Tor from Sweden

Unknown said...

Hi Tor,

As shown above, the location of the script ('updater-script') is META-INF>com>google>android in the ROM.

So, to get the file, extract that script file from the ROM (zip). I'm showing you the procedure using 7zip which I love.

** TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK :) **

1. Open the file on 7zip.
2. Go to META-INF -> com -> google -> android
3. Possibly you see "update-binary" and "updater-script". Extract the latter somewhere. (Don't close 7zip at this stage.)
4. Open the file using a text editor. I use NotePad++.
5. Edit the very first "assert" statement. Here's my one - what I did was just adding a new entry of "vu2kt" there. Perhaps yours is different so just take the following as an example.

---
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "e986" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "e986" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "e980" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "e980" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "vu2kt" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "geefhd" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "e988" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "e988" ||
getprop("ro.product.device") == "gkatt" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "gkatt");
---

6. Save the file. (Be careful- the file must not have an extension such as "txt")
7. Overwrite the file on ROM by dragging the file onto 7zip window.
8. Retry the ROM update.

However, I don't believe that F240s is officially supported in CM. I assumed that you already got an adjusted ROM for your device, but if not, please don't try, or it will brick your device, possibly.

If anything I can help more, please leave a comment here.

Regards,
Scott

Tor said...

Hi again,

Actuallt I am struggling to get 3g/4g to work on my phone since the band here is Sweden are supposed to be supportive (1800 mHz) and UMTS (2100 mHz) and I thought a new rom would help since I know have stock (SK telecom). This means I am actually running and the Korean stock in Sweden. Though it is working from time to time (only with GPRS and only sometimes for calling).
I found a rom especially for the 240S yeah, but I couldn't flash it in (not even after you splendid explanation).
Do you have any advise? Is this concerning to the baseband (I flashed in a new version of that also).

Best regards

Tor

Unknown said...

Hi Tor,

I researched your issue for a while but could not find any serious issue. Actually SK telecom operates global data roaming services and Sweden (Tele2 - I think this is your network) is included, theoretically, the handset should be able to connect to the network.

If I were you, I would try turning on the "data roaming" mode (or global roaming or whatever) on your phone because some Korean stock ROMs are notorious of their inflexibility on international networks.

By the way, what was the actual error from the custom firmware installation? Was that same even with the installer script change?

And I'd also like to know which ROM did you use. Some custom ROMs for F240 seemed to be based on Korean stock ROMs so that they won't give you much difference. If it's based on a CM, it'll be fine.

I'm waiting for your reply and hope you to resolve the issues soon.

Regards,
Scott

Tor said...

Hi,

First of all I would just say that I'm very grateful that you are taking time to help me.

You are quite right, I am using Tele2 as operator and they have the sam frequency that the phone should support. I have also been in contact with them and they are as profund as I am that LTE/4G doesn't work (or even 3G).

I am no expert of this at all. I don't know what firmware exactly refers to, but I followed this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2490457 and when I tried to install from recovery it just said the file were bad and aborted the process.

Can you please be a little bit more precise about what you need.

I have looked up about rooming and tried to set my phone to it but it didn't connect with anything (2 minutes searching). I love the phone and I will not return it, but yeah, it would be nice to get it to work.

Again, I am really grateful towards you. Just let me know what you need for information from the phone and I will provide it, but be very exact and precise since I have restricted knowledge so to speak.

Waiting for your answer.

Regards

Tor

Unknown said...

Hi again,

I think you're in one of the cases:

1. Recovery is not installed properly - you can easily check when you boot your device to recovery mode. It should say something like "CWM based recovery version XXX". If no custom one is installed, it'll say "Android System Recovery". If it's your case, you may follow this article to install one with rooting.

2. Zip file was transformed and got unrecognisable by the ROM updater whilst you were saving the modified script. If it's the case, I'd like to recommend you to use 7zip as I succeeded with it.

If none of'em still helps, would you please take a few screenshots of your phone? That will give me more information.

Thanks!

Regards,
Scott

Tor said...

Hi,

When I boot to recovery it says 'ClorkworkMod Recovery v6.0.2.8'
'For LG Optimus Vu2 JB by 985hPaKick'.

Down on the screen a greeting message 'Welcome to the New World'is visible.

I've also tried with 7zip (just used winrar before) and it did'nt work.

I'll gladly provide you with screenshoots. What would you like to see on the phone?

Regards

Tor

Unknown said...

Hi Tor,

The first thing which looks strange for me is the CWM. Was there any reason for you to use one for Optimus Vu?

And the captures I'd like to see are,
- the screenshot after failing the ROM upgrade.
- initial screenshot of recovery mode.

In addition, if possible, send me your "modified" ROM. I bet you've done it correctly, but it doesn't harm to double-check it.

And you may try something else:
- Install a different recovery.
(This might help- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2361941 )
- Get a different custom rom for your handset.

I believe that the problem is really simple. Just the distance between us blocks faster resolution. :) Just keep trying and it will be solved soon.

Regards,
Scott

Tor said...

Hi Scott,

I don't know if I have completly bricked my phone, but after a factory reset from within the phone (previous times I've done this from the recovery) it just doesn't boot up. First the message screen indicate "Secure booting error cause device unlock so boot sucess" and after this it just boots into recovery. Now, I have read that you can flash in a rom through adb and since I have access through "install zip via sideloader" I may complete this, no?

Do you know how this is done? I have really spent like several hours on this issue and I agree when you say it most certain is a simple thing, but the problem is that I do not know what to search for in all this information.

Regarding that other thing I didn't choose a recovery for VU. I just installed something called ltebrejk (can't check since I can't get into the phone), but it made me start recovery from the phone.

The instresting thing is that I got two diffrent versions (one that were for Lg optimus G pro and one for this VUphone).

I am really crazy over here, but I am glad you can manage to get time for this issue.

Best regards

Tor

Unknown said...

Hi Tor,

I am sorry for the situation, but I assume that the phone will be okay because at least you can boot up with recovery mode. You may conveniently install a new ROM via a microSDHC card which is recognisable from recovery mode.

Regarding the message of "Secure booting error cause device unlock so boot success", actually my phone also shows that on every boot. I think it just says that the device is unlocked.

If I were you, I would just find another ROM for the device and try to flash it via a microSDHC, after wiping out everything via recovery. Possibly you need to trick the script to fix "vu2kt" issue every time until the device succeeds to boot on any custom ROM.

If any ROM is still unrecognisable, please take a photo of the error message on your phone and share it via DropBox or whatever. Using DropBox, I believe you can share the ROM that you're trying to flash as well.

Good luck! And if you like, you may contact me via gmail for faster response.

Regards,
Scott

Tor said...

Hi,

Sorry if I didn't mentioned that, but I am unable to connect with the phone through the computer and I can not get access to the SD. So my only option is adb.

What is you mail?

Regards

Tor

Tor said...

Edit: I tried with adb before (after reading a loot of guides) and I couldn't connect to the phone through that either. It's like the phone can't be recognized by the computer at all.

Regards

Tor

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

May i Install it on MY Lg Optimus VU 2

Unknown said...

Shahid Javed // I wouldn't dare the risk. E986 is quite different from Optimus Vu series.