Wednesday 4 December 2013

Can't reboot Optimus G Pro into recovery mode after installing CyanogenMod 10.2

Yesterday, I encountered a strange problem to update the CM10.2 RC ROM to the official CM10.2 on my E986 as I couldn't make the phone boot into recovery mode. It just showed this disappointing message. 


Actually it was obvious that I succeeded in doing that - or I wouldn't be able to install CM 10.2 RC. So what happened? As I am not an expert in this area so that I am not 100% sure, but it seems that the last recovery image to apply CM 10.2 RC was not fully compatible with my e986. 

(Warning - Everything is at your own risk!)

Last time, I used 2nd-init recovery to inject CWM and it worked with no issue so I still don't understand why not now. Anyway, I was advised that I should use a loki-compatible recovery tool. e.g. FreeGee. (What is loki??? Don't ask me, please!) Interestingly, I found that several people encountered the same problem of mine and some of them just reverted the ROM back to the stock one and start from scratch with safer tools. I know it could be the best, but I didn't have the stock ROM.

Instead, I installed FreeGee I mentioned above. Unfortunately, the latest version (1.9.5) didn't do anything but displaying "Error 127" so I googled to find an older one and finally found Chinese version of 1.2.4 which worked fine whilst I don't speak Chinese. FreeGee has a few options to take various recoveries and I used CWM. I won't link that Chinese version here as I believe the developer of FreeGee will fix the current problem soon and that unsecured version I used might brick your machine. 

Therefore, if you encounter the same problem, use FreeGee! 
Sent from Evernote

No comments: